Innovation and Entrepreneurship Scholarships
The following scholarship opportunities are available to Pitt Business students who aspire to choose an entrepreneurial career path. Click below for more information including application requirements and deadlines. For more information about scholarships and financial aid, visit the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
This scholarship is an internship position for students who attend Pitt Business and have obtained a full-time internship with the Institute for Entrepreneurial Excellence Company (IEE). This scholarship is contingent upon the student completing the whole summer internship and continuing that internship into the school year.
During the internship, the student will receive training on small business development processes (e.g. business plan development, funding, market research, etc.) and serve as a junior consultant working with a full-time consultant to enhance operations of southwestern Pennsylvania small businesses. In this capacity, the student's work would include but is not limited to reviewing business plans; conducting secondary market research and preparing a report on the findings along with recommendations; reviewing marketing plans and associated marketing materials; preparing financials; reviewing loan application documentation and meeting with clients; and preparing scope of engagement letters. Interested students are encouraged to contact the Office of the Dean for more information. Final candidates are selected through an interview process by the IEE.
At least a 3.00 cumulative GPA
Prefer that at least 45 credits are completed but not a necessary requirement
Apply to this scholarship.
This scholarship was created to enable Pitt Business students to accept challenging internships that prepare them as outstanding business leaders for the 21st century. Fellowships are awarded for significant, professional business internships that provide little or no compensation for the Pitt Business student. These could include young, fast-growth companies, not-for-profit organizations, or unfunded project work within a company division. When the student completes the internship, they must present their experience to corporate sponsors and Pitt Business faculty. Awards will be determined by the Office of the Dean and Pitt Business Career Services.
- Be enrolled full-time in Pitt Business as a BSBA or double degree student
- Have a 2.75 or better GPA
- Submit an application for the Tafel Program
- Submit a current resume and cover letter explaining how the internship fits in your career development and how the Tafel Scholarship could help you achieve the internship
- Submit the names of three references that may be contacted in the application process
- Must have secured an internship that is not part of an internship placement program (e.g., Pitt in London, the International Internship Program, University of Dreams, etc). Please contact Pitt Business Career Services if you have questions regarding this requirement.
The organization must:
- Be an incorporated (Inc., LLC, LLP, etc) entity
- Have an employee designated as supervisor to the Tafel awardee
- Agree to complete a final performance appraisal for the intern
- Provide the intern with a written hire letter for the internship position
- The job must be a challenging position within the intern's field of interest. The job must contain no less than 80% professional work in either Accounting, Finance, General Management, Human Resources, Marketing, MIS, Operations Management, Sales etc.)
- Provide the intern with a written and signed job description
- Provide the intern with a company brochure or Web site to include in the application
- May only have a maximum of two Tafel awardees during the period of the award.
Criteria for Awarding Tafel Scholarships:
- Academic achievement in Pitt Business
- Quality of previous work experience
- Professional skills that match job requirement
- Financial need
- Quality of the work and the supervision offered the intern
- Quality of the company and their rationale for an unpaid internship position