Business Information Systems Major
Information technology (IT) has revolutionized the way consumers and businesses relate and interact. For consumers, online retailing has become the dominant distribution channel for a wide variety of products and services, with massive shifts underway from brick and mortar to e-commerce and the Web, and now into social media. Not only has technology changed consumer habits, it has also dramatically changed the workplace.
Technological innovations enable new strategies, products, and distribution channels while increasing efficiency and productivity in all industries. Success in the 21st century requires that business managers and analysts understand what technologies are available in the marketplace and how these technologies can lead to competitive advantage, staying competitive, and to new business products, services, and models. Therefore, it is necessary that managers understand how IT interacts with business strategies, organizations, and customers, and it is essential that businesses manage their portfolios of IT investments accordingly.
Through the Pitt Business Business Information Systems (BIS) major, students will develop the abilities to partner with, or contribute to, IT-enabled business strategy, operations and projects in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:
- Evaluating new information technologies, business models, and their implications
- Understanding the relationships between competitive advantage and information technologies
- Assessing a business or business area to recognize where process improvements can be made
- Eliciting and identifying requirements
- Communicating effectively with consumers, managers, analysts, business partners, and IT professionals
- Modeling needs, processes, and data
- Managing data as an asset
- Managing processes
The Pitt Business BIS major meets the qualifications of a STEM-designated degree program, as set forth by the federal government. International students may receive an extension in the United States for the program.