Admission to the Business Minor
As space in the business minor is limited, students will apply on a competitive basis after completing the prerequisite coursework.
There are two application deadlines each year for the business minor:
- October 1 – for spring semester admission
- May 1 – for fall semester or summer admission
Deadlines are strictly enforced.
Criteria to apply:
- Enrollment as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on Pittsburgh campus of the University of Pittsburgh
- Completion of 30 credits in residence at Pitt (not transfer or AP/IB credit)
- Completion of all three business minor prerequisites. The prerequisites are:
- ECON 0100 Introduction to Microeconomic Theory (or IE 1040) – 3 credits
- MATH 0120 Business Calculus (or MATH 0220 or MATH 0235) – 4 credits
- STAT 1100 Statistics and Probability for Business Management (or one of STAT 1000, STAT 1151 & 1152, ENGR 0020, IE 1070 & 1071) – 4-6 credits
- The prerequisite courses may be fulfilled by Pitt coursework, transfer credit, or AP/IB credit.
- For the October 1 deadline, students must have completed the three prerequisites by the time of application, as minor applications will be reviewed in early October. Students who are completing prerequisites during the fall semester should plan to apply for the business minor by the May 1 deadline.
- For the May 1 deadline, students may be finishing up the prerequisites during the spring semester, as minor applications will be reviewed in early May after spring grades are posted.
- Because space is limited, students will be selected for the business minor on a competitive basis. Admission is not guaranteed. For application, a minimum cumulative Pitt GPA of 3.30 is recommended as well as a minimum prerequisite average of 3.30.
Students will be notified via email of their eligibility for the business minor about a week after the application deadline. Students admitted to the minor will be able to add business coursework to their schedule for the semester to which they have been admitted.