Sustainable Development Certificate in Global Studies
The Sustainable Development Certificate in Global Studies is an academic credential offered by the University Center for International Studies (UCIS) Global Studies Center. The certificate explores challenges and solutions to improving quality of life without increasing the use of natural resources beyond environmental capacity or compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. The certificate is open to students of all majors and can be combined with the business-centric certificates offered through Pitt Business.
Benefit to Pitt Business Students
Future and current business leaders recognize that successful organizations must consider the needs of various stakeholders while simultaneously engaging in inclusive and environmentally sound practices. Within a global context, this means focusing attention on environmental, social, and economic sustainability across global supply chains, which Pitt Business students can examine and better understand with the completion of a Sustainable Development Certificate in Global Studies. This knowledge will become vital as students enter the global market, where their business solutions will focus on profitability and the efficiency of resources will deliver both immediate and long-term benefits for people, the planet, and prosperity.
Applications to Business
With the Sustainable Development Certificate in Global Studies, students are able to study topics including but not limited to:
- Global population growth
- Social entrepreneurship
- Economic and human development
- Global resource management
- Environmental change
- International environmental law
The Sustainable Development Certificate in Global Studies is an 18-credit program designed as an enhancement to the Pitt Business Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree program. It builds upon the core curriculum and offers perspectives that are relevant to students earning a major in accounting, business information systems, finance, global management, human resources management, marketing, and supply chain management. Students who earn the certificate are also able to complement their global studies certificate with any of the certificate programs offered through Pitt Business.
The certificate comprises a total of 18 academic credits. Students must complete one required course, a range of elective courses, and must fulfill language requirements. Students are also required to submit a capstone paper that highlights an issue related to sustainable development.
1. Required Courses (3 credits) – The following course is required:
- Intro to Global Studies (PS 0550)
2. Elective Courses (15 credits) – Students select courses from a robust list of electives.
- Students are able to double count up to six credits from their major, which allows them to fulfill their general education requirements, major requirements, and certificate requirements at the same time
- Students must select three courses from at least two departments other than their major
- Courses from Pitt Business, and the schools of humanities, social sciences, and other professional schools can count toward the certificate
3. Language Proficiency
- Students must complete two years of college-level language study
- Students must have a minimum of intermediate, low-level proficiency in a foreign language
- The foreign language credits are not included in the 18 credits required for the certificate
4. Study Abroad
- Study abroad is not required but is highly recommended
- Please contact the Pitt Business International Programs Office for study abroad programs that compliment the certificate